Skip to main content

Reply to "Skills Video Question"

There's lot's of views on this, but I'll tell you what I did for my son:

1)  BP cage swings off front toss.  Camera was set up facing the batter on the opposite side of home plate.  5 swings is all you need.

2)  For SS fielding, camera should be home plate perspective, but zoomed in to provide a good view of the fielder.  A couple grounders right at him, a couple to his left, a couple to his right, and charging a slow roller.  Two or three throws from the vantage point of 1st base would also be a good idea to show carry on the throws.

For the above videos, you are showing mechanics, footwork, etc so results don't matter so don't worry about showing the flight of the batted balls or throws (other than the 1st base view).

3)  Many do not include game footage, but I did.  I find many practice videos to be void of speed, quickness  and athleticism so if you have game footage to highlight this I've found this to get positive feedback from coaches.  I showed a few in-game swings from the similar vantage point as the cage swings.  I also included some in-game defense so that he can demonstrate quickness, speed of play, athleticism, etc.   

Definitely include some personal info in the beginning - Name, grad year, position, GPA, numbers if you have them and they are verified by a 3rd party (60 time, throwing velo, exit velo).