Skip to main content

Reply to "Sleaze factor off the charts, agents allege"

Posted by NVR1
quote:
Rankings by BA is not an exact science, but they do the best job they can with the information they receive. I would not even try to guess where a player might be drafted based on the class ranking. Too many variables. As an example, my son's "ranking" continually went down from his sophomore year primarily because he didn't participate for various reasons in the many showcases around the country.(Did participate in Area Code) If a player is not seen, it's tough to "rank" a player. In his Jr. year, I was told he was "ranked" in the 250's. He ended up being drafted in the 3rd round in 2003.
The draft is its own mysterious process. Most scouts will tell you that they find the "rankings" from various organizations great starting points, but they make their own rankings and organizational decisions based on their needs, etc. Good luck to you.

NVR,
Excellent explanation, a very accurate assessment. Players are ranked by an organization that does not have any draft picks. It's a big benifit to be ranked, but where a player is ranked is not so important. In fact, there are several unranked players drafted every year.

If your son is who I think he is... He was ranked much higher than 250 his senior year. One of his biggest boosters was Rob Bruno (NorCal). Turned out Rob knew what he was talking about! "BBScout" (Doug) wasn't surprised either.

Best of luck to your son.