Skip to main content

Reply to "Sleaze factor off the charts, agents allege"

1.) Equipment:

"In fact, one of the main functions of any agent is getting his player the required equipment."

WRONG!THE MAIN FUNCTION OF AN AGENT IS TO GET HIS CLIENT BETTER DEALS. THIS IS TRUE WITH BOTH THE TEAM THEY PLAY FOR & EQUIPMENT CONTRACTS WITH GOOD COMPANIES. BUYING EQUPMENT FOR PLAYERS DOESN'T ESTABLISH A RELATIONSHIP FOR THE PLAYER WITH THE COMPANY. ALL IT DOES IS GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO GET YOUR FOOT IN THE DOOR WITH BECAUSE HAVING NO EXPERIENCE THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO OFFER.

"it is only if it is to "induce or encourage such player to utilize or maintain the Player Agent's services."

I'M SURE YOU NEVER SAY A WORD ABOUT GETTING PLAYERS GEAR UNTIL AFTER THEY'VE SIGNED WITH YOU. PIMPING KIDS WITH A PAIR OF SHOES ISN'T IN ANYONE'S BEST INTERESTS.

2.) Lawyer or Law Student

WRONG AGAIN "For example, say I represent the number one pick in the draft
(NOT LIKELY ANYTIME SOON),
and I negotiate a signing bonus AND for the player to be given a major league contract."

1ST OF ALL YOU'RE NOT CERTIFIED SO YOU WON'T BE NEGOTIATING ANY MAJOR LEAGUE CONTRACTS.

SECOND OF ALL "That contract will be suscribed pursuant to the State Tax laws of the parent club."

ANY IDIOT WITH A PHONE CAN CALL H&R BLOCK TO FIND OUT THE TAX RATE IN ANY STATE IN THE UNION. HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH TAX LAW. IF YOU'D EVER DONE A DEAL LIKE THAT YOU'D KNOW THAT A LAW DEGREE IN THAT SITAUTION IS AS NECESSARY AS WINGS ON A BICYCLE.

3.) Fire an agent.
WRONG I'VE LITIGATED THIS BEFORE THE MLBPA & THE ONLY ISSUES WERE WHEN THE DESIGNATION FORM WAS SIGNED & IF ANY NEGOTIATIONS HAD OCCURED AFTER THAT DATE & BEFORE THE DESIGNATION WAS TERMINATED. IF YOU HAVE A ONE YEAR CONTRACT, THE MAXIMUM ALLOWED BY THE MLBPA & ARE FIRED YOU ARE ENTITLED TO A FEE BASED ON HOW MUCH WORK YOU HAVE DONE UP TO THE POINT YOU WERE FIRED AS FAR AS THE MLBPA IS CONCERNED.