Skip to main content

Reply to "Sleep?"

Iowamom23 posted:
9and7dad posted:

especially if he's on a high academic path.

Just as a note — thanks to you and RJM. I don't usually think of son as a serious student or on a high academic path. I think of him as the kid who can't get up to get to French by 9 a.m. 

Thanks for adjusting my perspective. I don't probably appreciate all of his good quantities as I should.

IowaMom23, your son is a rock star!  I can't wait to see him play in the B1G next year!  

Our HS moved start time to 8:30 am from 7:50 because of the research that others here have referenced.  Nevertheless, my son still wakes at 6:30 after being up studying until 11 or midnight after games, workouts, practice, etc. because he's slow in the morning and likes to get to school early to "be prepared" (his words, not mine).  When he goes a couple of weeks without being able to get that extra sleep on the weekends I notice he's crankier, more forgetful, less alert and focused and even somewhat depressed (although after this winter and spring, who wouldn't be)?  There's so much pressure on them with academics and baseball (not to mention if they work or have other responsibilities like your son).  Sometimes I look at my son and how he's managing it as well as he does and I'm amazed.