Skip to main content

Reply to "Slider"

As they say- "a breaking ball is a breaking ball no matter what you call it". I always like watching games where low 3/4 arm slot pitchers throw and hearing the commentators. Some call it a curve ball and others call it a slider. Ask the pitcher and some might call their breaking ball a slider and some call it the curve while yet others claim to have both.

My son throws from a low 3/4 slot and I have had other coaches ask if he was throwing a slider or a curve. In my opinion they are the same thing from that slot because they both basically have the same break motion- down and away from hitters.

In technical terms though, a slider is thrown with more of a traditional fastball mechanics that allows a greater velocity which translates to a later break which has a better chance of fooling hitters. Sliders traditionally have more side spin rather than downward spin which allows the ball to break more away from a sluggers potential "sweet spot" on the bat whereas a traditional curveball can only move downwards more than sideways and still in the potential "sweet spot" area of the bat. A low three quarter slot slinger actually gains the best of both worlds because his "breaking ball" will move both down and away from right handed hitters. If this slinger can learn to throw his breaking pitch with decent velocity he becomes the most dangerous thrower for a team because any hitter hates breaking pitches that lure them in to swinging but with no good potential for that pitch to end up anywhere close to the strike zone.

You watch a low 3/4 guy strike out batters on their breaking pitches and the ball is usually 6-10" away from the end of the swung bat in the strike zone.