Skip to main content

Reply to "Slider"

Yeah, I'm not really sure either. I think it has evolved over the last couple of years. At first his pitching instructor called it a cutter. At times it has been much closer in speed to his fastball. Right now it has slowed down and has a much bigger break. Like you said earlier, it is all a matter of degree and where you set your wrist. He may change it up depending on what he is trying to accomplish. Whatever it is called, it has been effective and I have had many educated people check him out before allowing him to throw it in a game.

I guess, when it comes down to it, there are those who think you shouldn't throw any breaking ball till your 16 and those who believe it is OK. Research backing both sides.

He definetely does not use it to compensate for lack of control. He hits his spots with all three pitches (overall-no one does it every pitch). He pitched a complete game - 7 innings - Monday night against the #3 AAAAA team in the state and only walked one. His comand is there. Breaking ball is just one part of his arsenal.