Skip to main content

Reply to "Slider"

quote:
Originally posted by bballman:
Actually, that team is the current #3 AAAAA team in the state. I believe there are 5 guys going to D1 schools for baseball. Not bad hitters. Called strikes were not down the middle. One to righty was on the outside corner. You can see the catcher set up outside. Started off the plate came back to corner. One to lefty was on the inside corner. Here the catcher sets up down the middle and reaches inside. Started off the plate again.

His breaking ball has a ton of downward break. Maybe it is more of a curveball than a slider. If you can fool someone with the pitch, you can get guys to miss. Major leaguers strike out all the time by being fooled. I only put together a clip showing the last pitch for the sake of time.

For the good hitters, "right down the middle" means the middle from top to bottom, not inside to outside. Good hitters should hit the pitches painted on the line.
Yes, judging from the speed you mentioned, his slider is more like a curveball. The other thing bothers me a little bit is that he throws from low 3/4 slot, almost like a sidearm throw, it sure produces more sliding effects, but I wonder if this is the way to throw sliders, will it hurt his elbow or shoulder? Any experts? please comment.
Last edited by bbking