Skip to main content

Reply to "Slider"

quote:
There is a grip slider that some use that allows a young pitcher to get a decent break at decent velocity without much strain on the arm. The traditional slider that requires curling and pulling the middle finger down is more dangerous and places much more stress on a young arm. (IMO)

PG, I think this is what my son throws. Personally, I have never heard the term "grip slider". I think I have said this before, but the way he started throwing this was I showed him a grip (basically, hold the ball off center) and throw it like a fastball. From the very first time he threw it, he got pretty rediculous movement. He was never taught the technique of "curling and pulling the middle finger down".

Over time, we just decided to call it a slider because it seemed that's the way it acted. I agree that a low arm slot guy cannot throw a true curve. That was kind of the premise of this thread. Problem is, obviously, if you call it that, you get all kinds of grief. I wonder if I started calling it a "grip slider" if anyone would know what I was talking about. I'd have a new set of issues on my hands. I think I might just call it his breaking ball from now on, just to avoid all the hulla ballew.

Your insights are appreciated. You have obviously been around for a long time and have probably seen more high level baseball and premier baseball players than almost all of us combined.

BTW, that was my son in the earlier video. His arm slot does give him quite a bit of movement on his fastball. It can be very effective. We have worked hard on his spotting of it. With a 6-8" tail, he probably never starts it where he wants it to wind up.