Skip to main content

Reply to "Sliding Pit dimensions?"

Coach_Sampson,

Here’s a little story you might find useful.

About 10 years ago some doofs decided to allow one of those traveling carnivals to set up on our big kommie kickball field and the outfield of our big field. With all the big rigs and other trucks, tractors, and whatnot driving all over the place, needless to say, things got pretty well torn up.

We had a medium sized tarmac roller that vibrated we’d rented for some street repairs, so I asked if we could try it on the fields. With nothing to lose, we watered the fields so they were DAMP, not WET, and off I went back and forth. It did a pretty good job on the kommie kickball field and the outfield, but the big surprise came when I decided to try it on the infield.

Our infield was hybrid Bermuda we mow to 3/8ths of an inch. After soaking it pretty good, I started with the roller on it. The thing came out like a table top after 10 passes or so. There was some “springback”, but for the most part it was absolutely amazing. What we did for several years after, was to run the tractor with the aerator on in before the sprinklers were turned on. That let the water get down deeper, and pretty much stopped the spring back.

So, if you want to give it a shot, I say go for it! You can rent a roller for a half day pretty reasonably, and if you do it right you can prolly get the time donated.

Last edited by Stats4Gnats