Skip to main content

Reply to "Small DI or Big DII"

quote:
s it tougher to play for some of the DII schools that have traditionally good baseball programs than it is to play for a lesser known DI.

The answer is absolutely YES!
In Ca. for instance, DII schools like Sonoma State and Chico State are nationally ranked and get anywhere from 100 to 150 out in the Fall, I read today on BA that the top 2 pitchers at Pepperdine just transferred to Sonoma State. These teams might not be top 30 DI, but they would be in the next level. They will be much better than lower level DI programs, much better. The same would be said of Tampa, Rollins and other schools in TPM's neck of the woods. While I am not sure current status, UMass-Lowell, Franklin Pierce and other similar schools would be/might have been New England examples.
In my view, you go where there is the best academic fit, the very best coaching, and the situation having the biggest upside, a place you can play and the place the coaches want you on their team.
Can this coaching staff develop you to be a better player, the best player you can be? The ability of the coaching staff to develop your skills, in my view, is so overlooked.
There is great coaching at every level, great coaching. They are the ones who make you better. Who you play never makes you better if your own coaches don't.
Last edited by infielddad