Skip to main content

Reply to "Small plus defensive CF"

It's still very early for your son, and a lot of things have to develop. For comparison's sake, my 2018 plays at a D3 equivalent as a starting CF and is doing well. He is superb defensively (SS, CF), a great runscorer(high OBP, baserunner). Had some interest at HA D1's, but they weren't beating down the door. All American in the weight room. His stats as a HS senior:

5'9"

165 lb.(now 185- maxed out, IMO)

6.9/60

91 mph OF Velo (now mid 90's)

mid 80's INF velo

mid 80's exit velo

intangibles out the wazoo defensively and offensively. Hit well as a gap hitter in Showcases.

As a Freshman he was 5'7", 145lb, Ran about 7.2/60. Threw around 80 MPH from the OF, 75 or so from INF. He hit the weights HARD as a Sophomore.

What we found got the most interest from RC's was his arm velo. Speed was also nice, but more commonplace. Once they saw him in person they were impressed with his D, but it was more like, "yeah, we can use that" rather than falling all over themselves to get him. I think it was his total pkg. as a smallish, runscoring, versatile(mid 80's off the mound) defensive whiz that interested teams, with his arm strength being the "special sauce' that made him stick out. Had multiple offers from D3's, lotsa interest/offers from D2's(some wanted to convert him to P), and some D1 interest.

There is no doubt that as a smaller player you have to work harder. AS a P, it's even harder if you are sub 6', never mind 5'10".

Good luck. I've got a 2022 also, but he is already 6', so a different type than my 1st.

Last edited by 57special