Skip to main content

Reply to "Small plus defensive CF"

Hi all:

Just wanted to update this thread to see if anyone has any additional insight. Three months later, 2022 is 5"8 - 125 lbs. Just did a local combine put on by one of the big players. 

Stats were pretty similar, except his 60 is now sub 6.9. The strength training (only once a week in the summer) seems to be helping, but he has actually only run the 60 three times in his life; 2019 tryouts in Fall 2018, 2019 travel club workout day in late June 2019, and this most recent one. In mentioning standouts, scouting organization listed him in the most projectable athlete category. Not sure if that is a back handed complement. What does that really  mean?

I did a little research on 60 times and it seems like a sub 6.9 for a sophomore puts you in pretty select category. On one of the national sites, I found less than 150 such times nationwide. Does this sound right? 

As many wise people have mentioned, you can't steal first. His BP at the event was pleasing to the eye. Still looks like a line drive hitter, but ball is definitely carrying further with some underspin. I was disappointed in his exit velo numbers but he mentioned to me that he felt he was getting under the ball a little too much. Any thoughts as to whether it's better to purposefully hit down on the ball when it's on a tee, for EV purposes?

He will begin baseball specific strength training in earnest in November, once fall showcase and varsity soccer season is done. Being multisport makes quality weight room time tough in the early fall. Winter is varsity ice hockey season but much less time consuming as it isn't as intense a schedule (this isn't Boston, Detroit, or Minnesota :0).

FYI fall showcase club is an 18u team. Splits time evenly in CF with a junior. His related summer 15u team got a PG National Ranking honorable mention and beat a handful of ranked teams along the way. On that team, he was only kid to play every inning of every game.

TIA!