Skip to main content

Reply to "Smokeminside"

I didn't realize (mainland?) media was not reporting that a higher number of casualties is expected.

Hawaii local news has consistently quoted authorities who have been blunt about the death toll likely climbing much higher than the current report of 106 souls. At least 2/3 of the properties in Lahaina have yet to be searched.  Plus, when authorities have revisited areas that HAVE been searched  they're finding even more remains.

There are also reports that any future land sales may first have to be offered to Maui residents and then other Hawaii residents.  Not sure if that's accurate or legal but it's definitely true that locals are worried about being displaced even more than they already have been.

Of course, news coverage may differ depending upon your location and the source, but what I have heard multiple times is that "the death toll is currently ____...but only a very small (this week I'd heard 3% reported) impacted area had been fully searched" (with the clear implication that this number was likely to grow).  We are on the mainland.  Our thoughts, best wishes, and prayers are with those impacted by this tragedy.

Last edited by ILoveBaseball04