Skip to main content

Reply to "Snoring - serious / Apnea / Update"

quote:
Originally posted by spizzlepop:
Rob,
Glad to hear Jeff's Sx went well and lets all hope that he licks this thing. Sleep disorders are no fun.
I'm sure you know that there is risk involved in these procedures. A child here in ABQ recently died after elective tonsellectomy to address mild apnea. It had worked well for the dad, and the thought was to try and nip it in the bud. Anyway, the kid went home after the procedure, went to sleep, and never woke up! The father is beating himself up pretty bad right now. Very tragic. Frown
I myself have moderate SA and I have a CPAP, but I don't use it anymore. Too cumbersome. One of the problems I found is it forces one to sleep in supine. As Southpaw son can attest, sleep studies are also conducted in this position- lying on your back. That's fine if it's comfortable, but if your used to sleeping in prone or side-lying, not so much. I'm most apnic in this position- I sleep much better on my side.

Spizzle

No need to have to sleep on your back- they may ask that for a portion of the test but not at home. I will PM you and give you my contact info if you need any info. There are plenty of options for you.

also, how young was the child- as sometimes they do this when the kids are very very young and this has a risk for complications. I would say under 3 yrs old or so and I would wait on surgery. Anybody,child or adult, with untreated or undiagnosed apnea who has surgery and anesthesia could be at a bigger risk as they cant wake themselves up from the apneas. I believe the real young young kids also tend to run into bleeding/ loss of blood issues, but again I am speaking about up to 3 years old or so.
Last edited by SOUTHPAW SON