Skip to main content

Reply to "So, emotion is bad unless you want to bean a batter?"

real green posted:
infielddad posted:

At the professional level, where players get paid, there is a history going back many years that in a "few" circumstances payback is okay. Even at the professional level, we see situations where temper and anger don't get controlled and situations get out of control (think Orioles/RedSox and the Milb player throwing baseballs during an on field situation.)

At age 16, you are learning the game and should be learning to control your emotions, especially on a baseball field.  Trying to justify the conduct of the 16 year old with what happens on a MLB/MILB field doesn't work for me. In my view, baseball is about respecting the game, your teammates, your opponents and conducting yourself accordingly.

I can guarantee you our son's HS coach would bench that 16 year old, explain why and what improvement was needed, and would cut the conversation very short if the 16 year old said "But what about Strickland and Harper."

Well said!  

My son spiked F3's shin pretty bad.  It was an accident of carelessness during a bang bang play on a swinging bunt.  Next AB high and tight twice but him on the ground.  On the way home we discussed the scenario.  It took him a minute to understand it was his duty out of respect for his opponent to insure he didn't slide his spike down the kids shin.  Even if it gave a slight advantage to the defense.  His carelessness injured a player in which in return the opposing pitcher returned the lack of respect for his safety. 

Another scenario, our pitcher was a runner on second.  SS was kicking dirt at his shoes and slap tagged him hard to the head twice on pick attempts.  Words were exchanged between the two.  Next AB for the SS, he took one to the hip.  

I have no problem with this part of the game.  You are in a battle on the field.  There are specific boundaries you don't cross.  

Again, poor examples as it relates to Harper/Strickland.  Did Harper's "stink eye" gravely injure Strickland's soul?  And the whole bat flip thing - can a guy not celebrate?  

That said, I do think the pitcher should be able to stand on the 3B line (a new hash mark about half way between HP and 3B) and if the guy that just hit a dinger doesn't make it past the hash mark in under XX seconds, then the pitcher gets to whack him in his face with the glove - and maybe try to trip him.  Don't make the guy run, but no more fast walking.  Two exceptions - first HR in that league or a walk off where the other team is already running off the field.