Skip to main content

Reply to "So give me the truth D1, D2, D3"

The 7.2 60 as a rising freshman is a really good number... I definitely understand the question, because the top schools such as Vanderbilt are indeed recruiting and committing Freshman & Sophomores.

Here's the thing to be honest with yourself about:  is he almost fully mature physically right now?  Most freshman are not, but a few are.  If he still has room to fill out, then the 6.7 is definitely attainable...

Anyways the 6.7 60, 90 Exit Velo, 85 Throwing Velo is *somewhat* within the range of top D1's, provided he is also a phenomenal Baseball player, too.   It will help to have someone very credible in his corner ( a travel team owner or a scout or coach etc) who can help him get in front of the recruiting coordinator at the right schools...

A friend of mine's kid commited to an SEC school this past spring as a freshman.  His numbers are similar to what you are speculating about (the 6.7 60, 90 Exit Velo, 85 Throwing Velo) *however* from what my friend has told me, those are the numbers that can get an early commitment, but the expectation is that he will improve on those numbers by the time he is a Senior signing a NLI.

The other thing is that my friend's kid has already shown the ability in games to regularly square up 88+ mph pitches and has a slick glove at Shortstop.

There is a lot more to all this than just hitting a certain number.  You are right to ask about the numbers though, because if you don't hit a certain number it can be a disqualifier before they even decide to find out that you can play ball.

for the top high academic D3's, the 6.7 60, 90 Exit Velo, 85 Throwing Velo will definitely open some doors.

Of course a 6.5 60 with a 95 Exit Velo would be better (!)