Skip to main content

Reply to "So give me the truth D1, D2, D3"

The truth?  You're concerned with the wrong metrics.  I know a senior in HS that runs a 6.5, 90-91 from Outfield, and is 5'-11" with no offers (much less deciding between D1,2, or 3).  Why?  Most likely it's because he's 165lbs, but who knows?!

Here are the real questions: 
Will you son make Varsity this year?  (If not, then he's most likely not D1 AT THIS TIME). 
Is your son one of the top 5 or so players on his travel team?  How often do you see better players than your son? (Again, not an indication of the end result, but will tell you where he is in relation to his peers) 
How does he compete against "as good / better" players in his age?  (This may require an honest assessment)
Does he have opportunities to play for higher caliber travel teams?  (Perhaps he's unable to, but are you receiving the phone calls?)

My guess is that your answers to the above will tell you what you need to know.  However, the most important aspect is to not become enamored with metrics and velo and exit velocity.  Find your son a trainer that focuses on baseball workouts and lifting.  Get your son to become one of the strongest players on the baseball field.  (Don't confuse raw strength with baseball specific strength . .. it's different).  Focus on his mechanics and defense  and his swing and all the things that can't be measured.

Get strong, with solid mechanics, and all of these metrics, and velo and exit velo will take care of itself.  Once that happens, then you'll look up, and you'll know exactly where your son stacks up because people will be calling him, not the other way around.