Skip to main content

Reply to "So give me the truth D1, D2, D3"

EastCO posted:

So my oldest just turned 15. Rising freshman.  He is going to be small.  5-9, maybe 5-10.  Good eye at plate. High avg, walk rate, doubles power.  7.2 recent 60.  Throws 75.  Exit 80.   Better than avg mif, elite OF.   Our, at least my, priority is getting him into the best academic school he can get into.   Really high level student.  Just give me some guesses.  If a kids grades/scores match at very upper range and lets say he runs 6.7, throws 85, exit 90 by junior yr,  what are odds a little guy can play ball at say stanford, duke, ivy, Vanderbilt, etc...?  1000 to 1?   500 to 1?   How about an elite D3 like amherst, williams, mit, hopkins, etc...    

I'm with Fenway. Take the academic part as your foundation, given what I've highlighted. Desire and willingness to work hard to improve are the "intangibles" that can alter a players current measurables. From your post, it seems that your son is versatile--a good thing if he's looking at some of the smaller rostered HA schools.  Based on what you've given, I wouldn't say it's a longshot to land on one of the schools(inc. the "etc.").

Advise your son not to let up on his already stellar academic record and work towards improving the athletic piece. Son was also undersized MI/CF recruit (5'10" 145 senior year HS) , not considered the best player on most teams he played (HS/AAU). He was motivated to attend a HA school. He threw 69-70 across infield at a showcase when he was your son's age. Was in bottom 5  "throwing"at showcase, but a top 3 runnner.  The third party evaluators said he should strengthen his strongest tool (60 time). That 69 mph stuck in his mind though; later threw 85 at a showcase his junior year.His 60 time dropped almost 0.5 in three years. Measurables do improve due to natural growth as he gets older in HS. But it's the player's plan for improving,motivation, efforts, and resources provided that can make the goal more of a reality. Good luck.