Skip to main content

Reply to "So what would your kid do?"

Nuke83 posted:
hshuler posted:

We have a possible similar scenario with higher stakes.  I'm not trying to hijack your thread but if we make it to the finals next week, the choice for some seniors and parents is, do I walk at graduation or do I miss the graduation ceremony to play in the state championship baseball series. 

Exactly, and this is where GHSA moving baseball championship to neutral site is a poor idea (IMHO).  This happens every year, and in past years, when games were played at the school, teams could tweak schedule to accommodate seniors graduation. Now they cannot.

As for the OP, the girls have a choice to make, do I disappoint all the other girls by not being at the game where they are depending on me, or do I disappoint myself at the expense of the team.

My personal advice to my child would be that there's really no question, team first, but it's easy for me to say that since I have boys and both skipped prom in the past for baseball.  A bit more difficult for a girl. 

Nuke - Great point but what I don't understand is not having a third Atlanta area option, like the Gwinnett Braves or Kennesaw State stadiums, for example. 

In the 7A classification, you have two Gwinnett and two teams from Woodstock. The winners will have to travel to Savannah or Rome, which takes away a lot of the students from attending the championship game. Now, it will probably be mostly parents and an empty stadium. When we hosted Mill Creek for the region championship, there were over 500 people in attendance.