Skip to main content

Reply to "So what would your kid do?"

cabbagedad posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

When did we make kids stop being kids?

CaCO,

IMO, HS is the turning point in many ways.  Of course we still let them be kids in many ways as well.  Hell, I'm still a kid too often.  Yes, they should enjoy dances and games and hanging with friends.  Yes, we should still take them camping and skiing and provide for their needs.  We should let them be HS kids.  But, HS years are when many things should become more adult-like in regards to learning a stronger sense of responsibility and commitment, learning that choices have consequences, that good things are worth working for, that your word and commitment to others is meaningful.  For many, HS sports is one of the important vehicles to several of those learning opportunities. 

BTW, I'm still curious how you would handle the scenario I painted... I tried to make it something that you could possibly face.  And something like it plays out hundreds of times across several sports every year.

How would I handle that scenario...I would be lobbying either the baseball people or the school people (or maybe both) to move the date.

The thing is that high school means different things for everyone but across the US people can reflect back on their prom as THE event in high school.  The last dance...the last remnant of youth. Cool, uncool, jock or nerd you can go to the prom and you can get your picture taken under the horrible crepe paper archway and be a high school senior at YOUR prom.

My track districts were the day after Prom, as in be there 2 hours away at 8am....we made it work, we made adjustments. The field event people couldn't get fake nails, oh well.  The team had to be in bed by 10pm, oh well! We showed up with our hair curled, with pins in our hair, with half of last nights makeup still on...but we were at Districts AND we got to go to our prom.