Skip to main content

Reply to "So You Are Off To College"

Al and others...I would like to weigh in here. Having coached 17-18 yr. olds from the time I was 22 until I was 37, I want to let you know that your fears, concerns, and thoughts about your kids going off to college are not abnormal. I've coached kids that would cruise through college based on character, work ethic, and determination. I have others who were given everything from birth, and still didn't appreciate it. I really worried about them going off to college. However, the common denominator for all of these guys was that they were leaving behind parents who still view them as their babies.

I look at my 7 and 3 yr. old kids, and still remember the day they were born. I wish, like many of you, that time could stop, and we could just hold on to them forever.

Having lost my dad last fall, I started reflecting on all the good times we had together. I just want to reassure you that even though you are letting go, they will, in time, come back to you. Only after graduating college and getting a job, did I truly understand the sacrifice and love my parents showed me every day of my life. It was at that point, that my relationship with my parents grew even stronger.

Just wanted to pass this along from my own personal experiences. Even though they may not say it, they still and will always need their parents. Best of luck to you and your kids!