Skip to main content

Reply to "So you want an advantage?"

Originally Posted by Redsdad:
Originally Posted by RJM:

Be a leader. Not everyone can be a vocal leader. Players without tenure haven't earned the right to be a vocal leader. Some players don't have it in their makeup to be a vocal leader. But everyone can lead by example. If you do the things Coach May suggests you are a leader. You're setting an example with how you carry yourself.

When my son played high school ball, coming off the field saying, "Let's get some runs" was a big outburst for him. But he outworked everyone. He high fived anyone who did something positive as small as grounding out to move a runner. It's how he was trained by his travel team growing up. Positive attitude is contagious even without being loud.

Be cautious with this line of thinking "Players without tenure haven't earned the right to be a vocal leader..." 20+ years of military service showed me even the most junior individuals have ability to lead verbally in the most harsh environments.  If you see a young man with this ability -- foster it, mentor him, and he and everyone around him will be better for it.

I agree. When my son was a freshman the culture at the high school baseball team was changing. A new coach (top assistant at a winner) was changing a losing, entitled atmosphere. My son lead by example freshman year. His attitude and work ethic was top notch. In tryouts after the captain took him deep but a few inches foul he knocked him down on the next pitch, then K'ed him with a change. The coaches went nuts. The captain made my son carry two equipment bags that day. My son said he wore them like a badge. 

Soph year it was obvious my son would start on varsity. He was the first soph opening day starter in six years. At that point the coach singled out my son for what work ethic and attitude can do for a player's game. 

When my son was a junior he was the best player on the team. I told him it was time to start being a vocal leader. He said it's wasn't his style. He continued to lead by example. "Let's get some runs" was an outburst for him.