Skip to main content

Reply to "So you want an advantage?"

What is this advantage I speak of? What happens when an entire team takes this advantage? What happens when a program is rooted in this belief? What happens when a young man decides that he will live by this creed? Does he have an advantage in life? In his job? In his relationships?

You don't live by this because you are looking for an advantage. Oh it might start that way. But what happens when a young man learns that he does it because it's simply the right thing to do? He does it because it is who he is. If nothing is ever gained from it that he can see. If no one ever rewards him for it. So what? He can look in the mirror and know he does it the right way. He can know that if everyone in he entire world is a slacker. If everyone in the entire world is a clown he is the one that is not.

He can live as an example of how it ought to be. How it ought to be done. And by some chance someone else decides they want to follow his example he would have made a difference. Do you do the right thing because someone might reward you for doing the right thing? Or do you do the right thing because you believe in doing things the right way?

The fact is coaches have favorites. And those favorites do things the right way. What has talent or the amount of talent a player has got to do with it? Nothing. It doesn't take anymore talent to do things the right way. How is it an advantage? Because any coach worth his salt is going to notice it. Reward it. And nuture it in his program. So what do you have to lose?

What is more important? Talent or the kind of man you are? What is more important? The amount of playing time you or your son gets or the type of man he is? I played the players that gave my team the best chance to win that day. I didn't keep anyone on my team that wouldn't do things the right way. So they were never in the equation regardless of talent. It's about building a program and teaching young men what is truly important.

Now if your son is on a team where the coach doesn't care so what? Be like the rest of those guys because it's not going to matter to that coach? Or learn how to do things the right way and then become the right way. Because its the right way. Because it matters to you. Because it's what you are about. And the only person you have to sleep with it you. The only person you have to live with is you.

When the glove and bat is retired. When the playing days are over. What is going to be the most important thing? Who had the best career? Or who has the advantage I speak of? And the fact is my most talented players also had the advantage. I preached it every single day. I happen to believe that they reached their full potential as players because that drive to have that advantage was also part of that drive to be their absolute best.