Skip to main content

Reply to "So you want to be a coach?"

@Iowamom23 posted:

Coaching eventually has always been part of my son's plan. We were talking last night and started debating what experience matters for coaching. One question in particular — is there any preference between someone who pitched versus playing a position as an overall head coach at any level?

What other background and skills should people try to acquire when they want to enter the coaching ranks — whether at high school or college? And what do they need to work on to move up the ladder?

Another area I know little to nothing about, but suspect I'll be learning a ton in the next few years, so any pointers are appreciated.

Hey Iowamom,

Great post by Prepster... I'll throw out a few cautionary tales...

I don't think P vs. position player is a big factor as far as being a HC is concerned.  I see plenty of successful coaches at all levels from both pools.  I do think that coaching, particularly HS and above, is a profession where, more than most others, there is an expectation of experience.  Even at entry level positions.  There is also always far more supply than demand.  Coaching seems to be a popular path for a variety of reasons.  Partially due to the supply and demand issue and part due to the fact that there are so few paid positions in the college ranks (and HS coaches make so little), there is a particularly lengthy "pay your dues" process that aspiring coaches must go through before they can land a coveted paid position.

I know your son is already progressing very well with a successful D1 college career (and maybe beyond).  So, the experience box will get a resounding check and this can also help, at times, fast track some of the "pay your dues" steps.  That said, even some very qualified high-achieving players find themselves having to spend some years in volunteer level or very low paying positions.  There are others here on the site who's sons have done or are doing just that.  Along the way, many find related options that allow for easier ways to pay the bills, so the coaching path gets derailed.  So, I would recommend he really research the likely steps, timeframe and pay scale associated with the different coaching avenues.

What other background and skills should he try to acquire?  Depends on which avenue he thinks he wants to pursue.  If he wants to coach HS, the teaching credential is a really valuable asset.  If he is targeting college, he will need a (preferably related) masters degree as requirement for most HC positions.  

I found coaching at the HS level to be very rewarding.  However, under the current model, the small stipend as compared to the significant time commitment necessary to do it right make it unsustainable for most, unless they are otherwise financially set.

One of my sons is progressing through those difficult steps of college coaching as we speak... currently across the country interviewing for his next role.  He has been fortunate in getting opportunities that have kept the process moving forward to this point.  He has great passion for it.  I like to think he has a great talent for it as well.  He seems to be getting close to the point where he can land a position where he will earn enough to make a career out of that passion.  Still, it is a tough path.  It is no certainty that he will not choose another path at some point soon.  Now is a great time for your son to really dig in with detailed research.  There are several others here on the site that can provide first hand experience and feedback.  

Last edited by cabbagedad