Skip to main content

Reply to "So you want to be a coach?"

All three of my sons coach on different levels.  Oldest son turned down a chance to play D1 baseball to coach because he knew that is what he wanted to do. The HC of the D1 at the time sat my son down and said I can give you a spot or you can continue to coach my son in middle school.  You will never play pro ball so if coaching is what you want to do then keep doing it.  You will learn more where you are than playing D1 baseball.  he actually coached 2 of the D1 HC's sons in school and travel.  He owns his own business and is a varsity HC basketball at a large school.

Middle son is a college coach after his time playing D1 ball.  He struggles at times in relationships because he has had a few girlfriends that ultimately did not want to be a coach's wife.  I think to be successful in any career that requires a lot of time it takes a spouse that is willing to let you do your thing and be supportive as CoachB said.  I definitely have a pastor and coach's wife.  Middle son wants to move up and is just now beginning to get chances.

Youngest son just finished freshman year in college and when Coastal Plains League team fell through he found a few places to get some innings in but is also coaching a 14U travel team.  Has gone to Atlanta 3 times, and Hoover for WWBA.  The third weekend of the summer showcase season the HC of the team did not go and he was the HC.  I went on Saturday just to make sure the overzealous parents did not try to tell the 19 year old what to do.  He wanted me to help him make out lineup but I told him he knew the kids and do what he thought should happen.  The other coach in the second game tried to talk down to him at one point but he stood his ground and made the coach look silly in front of his players and parents.  His parents stood and cheered and he won their respect.  The umpires swung completely at that point.  He knows he wants to coach when his playing days are over.