Skip to main content

Reply to "So you want to be a coach?"

I coached travel softball through 18U Gold. I coached travel baseball through 16U. But in high school ball I was just a parent. I received a great education from parents watching high school ball. All the former LL coaches who watch a lot of MLB on tv know a lot more than high school coaches. < extreme sarcasm

The reality is most parents are clueless about how much work it is to coach a team that is invisible to parents who only show up to watch the game. If it’s high school ball academics and school behavior is added to the list travel coaches deal with. 

One situation I never forgot was a parent approaching me as he dropped off his son for two Saturday pool games. He told me his son couldn’t pitch since he pitched for his CYO team earlier that morning. I had told the kid Thursday he was pitching game one Saturday. The parent was livid I only played his kid three innings in the field over two games. I snapped at the coach ... I spent a lot of time last night figuring out pitching and playing rotations.  Then you tell me your kid can’t pitch as pregame is about to start. When was I supposed to spend two hours reconfiguring playing rotations? He played the three innings I expected him to play after he was supposed to pitch.