Skip to main content

Reply to "So you want to be a coach?"

@PitchingFan posted:

Well they do in Atlanta.  One of my best friends was at one of the largest high schools in Georgia and the US and he was HC of varsity baseball.  Got the job partly because of success and partly because he was a special ed teacher so they could use him.  I've been in biggest schools systems in Ga, TN,SC, and Missouri and all of them have elementary teachers as HC's of varsity sports and special education teachers.  What is the reasoning in Texas that you would not use a special ed teacher or elementary school teacher?  My son is a varsity HC of basketball in Tennessee in largest classification and does not even teach or work at school. 

Again, there is no standard that applies across the board. I have no experience with small classification rural schools. I have a lot of experience with the largest classification public HS in Texas. In those schools all coaches are employees of the school district (that they coach in) and most of them also teach in the district at the HS level. Some teach at lower level schools in the district. I know of a couple coaches that were Head Baseball Coaches that were elementary school PE teachers in the same district as the HS. Both of them were (coincidentally?) two of the worst HS baseball coaches I have ever seen. When they showed up at the HS baseball field they brought an elementary school mentality with them. Everyone got a juice box and a participation trophy. Most successful HS baseball coaches that I know also teach at the HS they coach. But the UIL mandates that all HS coaches in Texas be employees of the district they coach in.