Skip to main content

Reply to "So you want to be a coach?"

After 25 years of coaching (21 as a head HS coach, 2 years as a Varsity Assistant, and 2 years as an Assistant at a  Junior College), I am more than happy to hopefully provide you with some things that helped me out throughout the years.  I was at a low end D1 playing with hopes of playing pro and/or becoming a broadcaster.  During my Jr. year of college, I realized that I didn't have the face for broadcasting nor the voice but I did have an infield coach who was always there for me whether it would be throwing extra BP or taking ground balls before or after practice and I was like wow - I want to be him.  He became my 2nd father and I changed my major and decided to go into Secondary Education so I could teach and coach.  My primary goal was to help get as many players on to the next level so they could have the same opportunities if not more than what I had.  When my playing career ended and I realized that my dream of playing pro was done, and I received my 1st teaching job.  Here are some things that I believe in:

1)  If you have the opportunity to be a grad assistant - stay in the college game.  I have been happily married for the last 24 years and we were engaged when I graduated so I didn't want to put my future wife moving around from place to place.  If you are not in serious relationship, stay in the college game and work your way up the ladder.

2) You need to have a supportive family who understands that you will be taken away from them to your "other" family.  I have been fortunate enough to be married to a HS Varsity HC who understands what I go through as well as I am there for what she goes through. My kids love going to both of our games and supporting us and I believe it has helped them in their athletic careers.  We had a D1 soccer player - this year we will have a D1 Volleyball player, next year we will have a baseball player at the collegiate level, and we will have an incoming HS Fr.

3)  Being a HC - it is never about winning a State Championship - it is about moving as many kids on to the next level.  The greatest pride that I have in coaching is seeing our kids play at the next level and know that you have made a difference in their lives.  Our school has had a lot of accolades but the thing that I always go back to is seeing our players on the next level playing on line, tv, etc. and know that they are making something of themselves on the field, in the classroom, and in life.

4) At 25 and being a HC, I thought that I knew everything - well I didn't and I have come full circle to where I am now. The game had evolved and you should have your core beliefs but you have to be able to adapt to the nuances of the game.  Best advice that I can give is to go to as many clinics as you can - ABCA, BCA, State Clinics, Read Team Building Books, etc.  This is where you will learn things that you can develop into your program.

5)  Develop your culture/principles - ours is Pitching, Defense, Quality AB, and Aggressive Base Running wins.  We ask our players to buy into a Team Approach and for most years our guys have bought in and it leads to itself.

6)  Do Team Building/Team Bonding exercises throughout the year - guys will work for one another

Hopefully some of things help you out and please let me know if you need anything else!

Good luck to your son!