Skip to main content

Reply to "So you want to be a coach?"

Most of the coaches around here teach in the building.  It helps to be able to interact with players on a daily basis, check in on them if they are struggling with a class, have your door open to them if they want to talk, and talk with teachers if we have to get the player back on track.  As for coaches and winning, believe me that I want to win just as much as our opponent, but that is not the reason why I wanted to go into coaching.  Coaches place a lot of emphasis on W/L but it is about the process, development, and the culture of your program.  If you have those things along with talent, then the wins will come.  At the start of the year, I ask our players what is your goal and many of them say win a State Championship, All-Conference, etc.  We then discuss some attainable goals that they can do - 60% Quality AB, Throw Less Than 15 P an Inning, etc. and have them focus on the little things and that will add up in the bigger picture.  If we win conference, great but I want our kids playing their best baseball at playoff time.  If we have done that as a team, then I am confident that we can make some type of run.