Skip to main content

Reply to "So, You Want to Go Pro Out of High School?"

This is a good topic as it comes at a good time as the draft is approaching.

I agreed with Prepster because of the title. Most of us here have had our sons drafted out of college. The experience is much different for a HS player entering pro ball than for someone who has been on his own for a few years, matured, and understands what needs to be done on the field in season and in the off season to be prepared to get a roster spot come April and able to take care of business on his own. Just wait until your first spring training. IMO, it's a much slower process for pitchers out of HS. If to do over again, from what son has experienced, I would still encourage school first, but keep in mind son has been on the DL a significant number of times.
My son loves the game, what he does for a living (most of the time), but personally he has no plans to be a career minor leaguer. He will go as long as he can until he can't anymore.
For those that don't know an FYI, regardless of how you got into the organization (drafted or FA), spring training is a try out year after year after year, there are no guarantees. And keep in mind that year after year there are many able to replace you, you have new guys and vets fighting for spots, by vets I mean guys in their 30's.

Another point, most of our sons have attended winning programs, so they all have a sense of how important that is. However, reality is that the daily report is most important for most, especially those that really don't have the appreciation for how hard it is to win championships, collectively, as a team. Some organizations strongly instill this concept early in the low minors, others do not.

Prepster brings up very good points that need to be considered for young players. There is nothing that prepares you for the day you show up after you have signed, nothing.

Infielddad it's great to see you and hope that you drop by more often, you have been missed. Smile
Last edited by TPM