Skip to main content

Reply to "So, You Want to Go Pro Out of High School?"

In my experience - Smallest crowds in milb... Rookie ball, in AZ and FL.

I've been to Rookie ball games with a handful of people watching. This level is for development, not a lot of fanfare. While it might not be as exciting it's still baseball and the organizational people watching are very important. If a player doesn't love the game, it's not a good spot to be. Then again it has been the beginning level for thousands of Major league players.

Most players are in a short season or full season team the second year. Those assigned to short season teams spend early spring at extended spring training.

Minor League baseball at most places is very popular. Even low A teams like Dayton Ohio draw lots of fans. I think Dayton has sold out every game for several years. Others don't draw so well. Some places in the Florida State League (HIA)have trouble drawing good crowds.

Everyone wants to be in the Big Leagues, but most everyone has to spend a few years in the minor leagues.

College is a great choice. Surely it is the best choice for most players. However, I don't see minor league baseball, even for first year players, as some sort of h*ll hole. There are a million kids who would absolutely love to be there. It really bothers me when people complain about how bad minor league baseball is. It's very much part of the process if you are lucky enough to have the chance. Yes it can be difficult and it's good to know how things work. But for many, college is difficult. Worse yet how about the millions that go straight to work out of high school. It's all difficult!

Of course being a professional baseball player is a job. Sure the odds are against becoming stinkin rich and famous, just like in any other job. Personally I think being a professional baseball player is one of the greatest jobs on earth. Not bad for building the resume either.

IMO people need to understand that if the organization signing you doesn't offer anything worthwhile, they are indirectly telling you they don't believe you're going to make it. Doesn't mean you won't make it big, but lets face it... Why not go to college? Lots of undrafted players end up signing for big bonus out of college. Same for low draft picks. If after three or four years in college they still don't want you... You for sure did the right thing! And if they do want you, again you did the right thing.

That is how I feel about it. However, how I feel or how anyone else feels about it, really doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is how each individual sees it. I only suggest that they don't get caught up in the glamour thought process alone

Should you go pro, should you go to college? Nobody really knows for sure. Either way, any advice you get has a possibility of being the worst advice you ever received. Before all the strictly college first people jump on this, I can give many examples of that choice turning out bad. Lots of kids with no degree and no baseball. Yet I know for "most" college is the best way to go. It's just that what works best for most doesn't always pertain to everyone.

I think there are very good posts on this topic. Very good information starting right at the beginning. Truth is... Any decision can turn out great or it can turn out not so good.

Sorry for all the babbling, just had a little time on my hands.