Skip to main content

Reply to "So your kid just turned down 1st round money"

quote:
There are an amazing number of ex-players out there -- some of whom played in the big leagues and earned what seemed at the time like great money -- who are drifting aimlessly through life, nearly lost,

jemaz,

With all due respect, your statement above is true, but aren't there more than a few ex-college students drifting aimlessly through life?

I agree that going to college is the best route for most young people, but I do believe many have done just fine going the other direction.

There are a lot of considerations beyond the obvious advantage of a college degree. Would Carl Crawford be better off had he went the scholarship route to Nebraska? Would Bobby Jenks have graduated if he went to a four year school? Every individual situation just can't have the same answer.

Every year we are asked for advice regarding many issues including this one. My answer is always the same, as some on this site might remember... I do not give advice in this matter. Why?... Because what ever I tell someone... it possibly could turn out to be the wrong advice. I'm far from smart or clairvoyant enough to give everyone the absolute correct advice.

By the way, it is possible to be plenty good enough as a baseball player and not be good enough as a student.