Skip to main content

Reply to "SoCal Scout Team Question"

D.C. Baseball posted:

How does the SoCal league compare to PG/WWBA events?  

We did both. The Scout League is over a 10 week period in the fall that ends with the Az Fall Classic. My son also played on a travel team that did Connie Mack games in the summer and a few PG WWB tournaments on the West Coast. We never did travel to the East Coast WWB events. So coaches who were interested in my son saw him multiple times at multiple events, PG tournaments in Az,  Connie Mack games, So Cal Scout League, and finally at the Az Sr Classic and Academic game. He also had a few coaches come to some of his HS games, so in the end the programs who made him offers had a REALLY good idea on his skill level.  Granted he was in So Cal with a high concentration of players and coaches coming to look at those players. BTW he was in no way a blue chip player, and had no tier one program offers, had a couple Big West, one Ivy, and a spattering of other mid major programs with little money attached to them.  He ended up playing for probably the best D3 program in the country (Trinity TX) over the past 5 years and had a journeyman career with them. So if you are an average player this is what you need to do to get seen and validated as a player. 

2019Dad posted:

I have heard a simple test is, if you have to pay them, it's a travel team, not a real Scout team

This is the way it used to be, but I do know that authentic scout teams charge for the opportunity. (at least that was the case 5 years ago)