Skip to main content

Reply to "Social Media Today"

@RJM posted:

When my son played 13u to 17u there was a dominant academy program in our area. Their A team was difficult to beat. They expanded to B, then C and now a D team. They used colors to designate the teams . They claimed the teams were equal. The A team was still a challenge. We beat the B team and kicked the crap out of the C team. The purpose of sub A teams is not to create more quality teams. It’s to generate revenue.

One of my son’s good friends going back to LL played for the B team in 17u. He was made all kinds of promises. They did absolutely nothing for him for recruiting. All the attention went to the A team. The kid got recruited on his own through Head Start and a local academic leaning showcase. The kid had talent. He became a D3 All American. The kid lacked the foot speed and size of a prototypical D1 player. But, the kid could rake.

Yep, quite familiar with such teams - but this one is a bit different.  We actually turned down the "3rd place" team because of shades of this kind of stuff (long story, just things we heard from other families that did not sound right).  With the organization we selected, not only are there nice local opportunities, but the possibility of opportunities that are more regional and beyond.  Also, the kids do get a "feel" at the tryout and workouts as to where they are - my son feels good with this organization.  Again, going way off topic of my post, but we are excited about what this organization may have to offer.  So much development still ahead and to a certain extent - much of this is up to the kid himself.

Last edited by ILoveBaseball04