Skip to main content

Reply to "Social Media Today"

@adbono posted:

I see red flags with 2 of your last 3 sentences. Comments/support from local folks has no bearing on your son’s role on his HS team. That will be determined by the HS HC based on whatever criteria he uses to make that judgment. Same goes for social media. It also will have no bearing on whether your son gets the playing time that you (or he) think he deserves. There is no better way to get in a permanent doghouse with a HS HC than to criticize/question decisions he makes about his program in posts on social media.

There's never been any questions about playing time posted to social media. There's never been any questioning by my son because he's been taught to keep his mouth shut and continue working harder to get better. There are teammates and assistant coaches that have questioned why he wasn't being played. In an area where play time is influenced by politics and money...those comments by area folk definitely have an influence. Can you honestly say politics aren't involved in baseball? Our coach honestly admitted he had favorites on the team at the end of the season. Persuasion of numbers can be effective. Have you heard of implicit bias? Studies have shown it exists in baseball. Definitely have also heard the term "look test".

You see Tom House's tweet today about politics and baseball?

My son may not of had the opportunity to demonstrate his ability during the HS season, but there were plenty of eyes that saw highlights of his summer season on twitter.