Skip to main content

Reply to "Social Media Today"

@PitchingFan posted:

I would disagree with this from experience.  Neither of my son's hit the weight room and both were recruited P5 as dual players, hitters and pitchers.  They had not lifted very much due to playing 3 sports in HS and the weight of playing travel ball.  After doing 10 episodes and talking to the players at UT, only 1 of the 10 lifted seriously in HS.  The rest did not.  I'm not saying it should not happen.  I'm just saying it does not happen for the best players in P5 ball.  I asked son about the guys who played with him on the high level travel teams he played for pre-college and he said he only knew 2 of the 60 plus players who were all drafted out of HS or went P5 ball that lifted seriously.  Just observation.  I don't know what you do with it but I'm willing to bet it goes across the board.

I think the key there is the fact that you said your sons played 3 sports.  How many of those other kids played multiple sports??  My son played football and was a wrestler as well as playing year-round baseball, he lifted during practices and the VERY occasional weekend/holiday break, but wrestling practice alone is on a whole other level!  Kids who are actively involved in other sports are using different muscles and building strength.  I think it is the kids playing only one sport year-round that need to utilize the weight room more if they want to improve.