Skip to main content

Reply to "Some general HS BB questions"

@CL6120 posted:

Hello, we’re still couple of years from HS, but looking for some information ahead of time.

• some of the Public HS have “feeder” travel/club teams for their BB teams. For those who have gone through or familiar with feeder programs, how critical is it in terms of making the HS team? How disadvantaged if you are not.
  • HS BB season is Spring; then what do players do in Summer and Fall?
  • If you decide to attend a private school (for both academic and BB reasons), do you have some idea ahead of time that you will be on the team (before making big commitment in terms of higher cost/driving time compared to the near-by public HS). Or do you not know for sure until the tryout?

Thank you.

1)  I don't think its important if your kid can really play. We felt a little pressure to do so but it turned out to not matter. 

2)  train but play another sport.  Gotta prevent burnout and develop more motor skills.  Around 15, start really lifting.

3) Ive heard about some bigger private HS recruiting players in middle school.  If your kid is locally known, you could probably directly ask the coach for input on the program and fit.  Honestly a parent should kinda have an idea what's what about their kids ability.  With my two, I was reasonably confident theyd be playing varsity at some point at any HS.  If you have to wonder by next year, he might be a bubble kid and private school BB might be a crap shoot?  Jmo