Skip to main content

Reply to "Some help with recruiting on our own"

RJM posted:
cebu75 posted:

One of the camps he went to on his own this month the coach mentioned he doesn’t even bother to contact the travel coach as he knows he won’t get an honest assessment. He actually said he would call the HS coach before he calls a travel coach. So I guess every coach has their own style. 

This surprises me. Quality travel coaches of quality travel teams have reputations of feeding players to college ball and being objective assessors of talent. These coaches contact college coaches and promote their talent. 

I know if my son had said he wanted to play for Vanderbilt his travel coach wouldn’t have blown smoke up Corbin’s rear. He would have blown off my son. He would have told him Vanderbilt wouldn’t be interested. 

I agree and my sons travel coach does that but with the schools he has reputation with and they are all D1 schools, mostly large. The coach that said this about the travel coaches was a D3 coach in Mass. I think most travel coaches would say good things if a D3 school calls. If Arizona State calls they aren’t gonna say Tommy from our 3rd string team would be a good fit. So after thinking more maybe that’s why the coach said that?