Skip to main content

Reply to "Some help with recruiting on our own"

CTBBALLDad,

I can’t use him as a slave telling him to get out there and pitch even if he doesn’t want to. The arm comes in quite useful at SS. He would rather bat and play the field every inning every game rather than play once a week. Its damn near impossible to be a 2 way at a D1. He had to choose and he made a choice he was comfortable with. I give him credit for following his heart. It’s not like he’s a crap SS. He’s damn good, it’s what he associates himself as and he’s a very good batter. Doesn’t strike out, has a great eye, hits line drives, never panics and runs fast. We went to a D2 because he wanted to see some smaller schools. He wanted to see some options as all he’s seen at this point are mid to huge D1 schools. 

Yea as a pitcher it would have been easy. He could have sat back and watched the offers come in. Now he has to put in more work because we all know the big recruiting is for pitchers. But at the end of the day he is most interested in a college education and getting good internships that lead to his dream job. The boy is practical. Maybe if his ideal school says we want you but only as a pitcher then we’ll have to talk, but he doesn’t know what his ideal school is yet. That’s why we went out exploring on our own. But I don’t think he will bend on being a PO and I feel it. I played basketball in college. It’s a lot of travel when you play in a big conference. Too much to cheerlead 75% of the time if your hearts not in it. 

Hell he almost wanted to go all in on basketball but I knew he could go further with baseball and talked him out of that. I don’t have a plan other than helping him figure out what school will be the best fit for him. The biggest name isn’t always the best fit. The Jimmy Soul song comes to mind. “If you wanna be happy”