Skip to main content

Reply to "Some reading for parents, players and coaches"

As a BTDT parent of a pitcher, there are so many things I wish I could go back and do over. I would be that obnoxious mom that the coaches hated and the other parents snickered at. I would make sure my son was not the work horse of the team throwing that complete game for the first win of the tournament and the back in a day or so for the "if we don't win we go home" game. Don't be like me, and mistake it for a compliment on your sons pitching talent if your son is put in this position on his summer/fall team. It just means that you need to find a team with MORE PITCHERS!

The ego in knowing that my kid was the go-to guy for the sure thing win would take a back seat to the common sense reality that his arm HAD to hurt him, no matter how much he assured us it didn't. I would have spoken up more for him, when his people pleasing personality kept him on the mound long after he should have been off. I wouldn't have bought into the line that you HAVE to play be-all-end-all round the calendar baseball to play at the next level. I would have had my kid sit fall and not kill himself schlepping all over the state in the summers. It worked out great for a few, but I also know a few who did NONE of that and they are in the bigs before they are even old enough to buy beer.

My sons dream of playing baseball effectively ended at 17 years old. One shoulder surgery down and another one needed, was more than he was willing to endure. Maybe he just didn't have the physical makeup to be a long term pitcher...maybe, that we will never know? I do know that he out pitched some of the best and the brightest early in his HS career, he wasn't flashy but he sure beat a lot of them....more often than not. He was held in very high regard by some of the best coaches in DFW, so it wasn't just his moms opinion.

I have tried to share our experiences with some friends who are excited about their very young kids being the star pitcher on their select team. I know the ones who weren't around my son personally when he was playing probably think that he wasn't that good, and that he probably wouldn't have gone very far no matter how his arm held up. I still try...so be it....I know that I regret a lot of things and allowing my pride at his success, and not stepping in for him when he was rode hard and put up wet is one of the biggest.

Take my experience for what its worth, just a dusty Mizuno bag hanging in the garage...full of lots of good memories, and some what-ifs and should haves. The one thing I am sure of is I have a great son going to a great school, with a blinding bright future ahead of him... even though it doesn't include him playing out on the baseball field. He will be the most amazing coach someday, and those will be some lucky boys who get the benefit of his experiences!