Skip to main content

Reply to "Some reading for parents, players and coaches"

PABaseball posted:

I understand protecting your kid, but just to address a few things. Abuse is a very strong word. There is a very big difference between a coach leaving your son in for a little too long and abusing him. In todays climate, that word getting tossed around can cost coaches their jobs and reputation. Don't take it lightly. 

The second thing is that 50 pitches is nothing. 50 pitches in one inning. Bad. 50 pitches in a game. Golden. Please do not pull your son off the field after 50 pitches. Not a single person that knows anything about baseball will agree with you. Little League is an 85 pitch limit and many think they can expand that a bit further. I think its just right. 

To add to that. Arms are most durable in the elementary/middle school ages. When people say they threw a ball from 9am to 5pm all day, they weren't lying. I understand the concern with arm issues, but the odds of him developing shoulder issues at 11 would be most likely from a freak accident or the actual result of arm abuse. If you are that concerned, possibly play summer or fall without pitching. Arm injuries suck, but they are not concussions. They aren't dangerous to your health. 

I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your kid, but you are not going to get a ton of people agreeing with you here. You said your husband was a pro baseball player. Trust his judgement. FWIW I think throwing more and playing everyday as a kid makes you better and helps produce a stronger arm. 

What you say is exactly “EXACTLY” what my hubby say! 

I feel so conflicted! Thank you for your response!

My heart wants to trust my hubby experience! He will never willing hurt his only child and crush his dreams  

My logical, math side read the experiences, the reports and I get overcome with fear! 

I should not use the word abuse I typed it with emotions blocking my thoughts. 

I express my concerns with his new coach and he promises me he will never use a kid for a win. He assure me that he would care for his arm like he would if he had a child! This team has older boys and lots of pitchers (8 kids that can pitch) on the team! 

After a lot of heated, loving, debate in the home we found a coach and team where my son is not the “go to” pitcher! The coach has also told me if I play in the fall it will be for his hitting/fielding  ability and he will rest the arm! 

I found this page a week ago and grateful for the guidance. Again thank you! 

Last edited by NY