Skip to main content

Reply to "Some reading for parents, players and coaches"

If your son is not the go to pitcher he may never be challenged to carry a team which is a big deal for a pitcher.  My sons at 12 threw 100 pitches every weekend and none of them have ever had arm problems.  I believe as you can throw too many pitches, 150 is extreme, you can also throw too little pitches.  I believe you have to throw as a pitcher to build up your muscles and be able to endure.  Can you imagine a runner who only did sprints and then had to go to run for 3 miles or a marathon?  You have to build up your throwing muscles and other parts of the body so that you can endure. 

Again, you will find every side to this real fast and if you research this website you will find 1,000 opinions on how much is enough and how much is too much.  85 is a pretty good rule for a day.  But over a weekend, if you throw a couple of innings on Friday you should be able to throw again a few innings on Sunday.  I'm glad my son has thrown over the years. 

When my son was 12, he threw at a big tournament that I was not at more pitches than he should have.  No ill effects and no pain.  I also understand that every child is different.  Some throw enough away from games to be ready for games and some don't do the in between stuff which is vital.  Just know for every he threw too much and was done there are hundreds of he threw too much and realized it with no problems.  Make sure son is doing  the in between bullpens and flat grounds.  Running and throwing the next day after pitching.

There is much discussion over how much is too much  in a year and summer and fall ball.  Trust your husband, this seems to be his area of expertise in the family.

Last edited by PitchingFan