Skip to main content

Reply to "Something to look at when picking a college baseball program"

@Francis7 posted:

Anyway, look at rosters and see if you can find kids like this...and, if you do, factor that in when considering where you want to go play baseball.

I guess everyone's experience informs their perception on things like this. I looked at my son's senior roster (2019). 8 seniors who all started as freshmen together (rare, I know). Only 3 of those guys got playing time for 2 or more years. So, if I understand your post, they had 5 guys who fit your description. In this case, those 5 guys were great teammates and great friends, and were always prepared to fill in when needed. Each had his own reasons for sticking around for 4 years, but I would say this was an indication of a great culture at the program. Again, every situation is different, so I guess my point is that you shouldn't read too much into this characteristic without context.

If playing time is your #1 priority, then go where your talent is demonstrably better than the kids you're competing with. That might mean that the team isn't great, but at least you'll get to play. Actually, one kid that was a freshman with my son didn't play his first year and he transferred to a lower level school. He was a "star" on that team, and played 4 years there.

Last edited by MidAtlanticDad