Skip to main content

Reply to "Son of a Pitch"

It is difficult to understand/justify allowing him to only face 1 batter, but game decisions are solely in the purview of the coaches and I suspect they had their reasons.  Of course, you as a parent would not agree with those reasons, but I would not let it upset me too much.  I doubt that the coaches want to see him fail.  But I agree it is tough at this age to balance being a good parent v. letting your son learn things on his own, and I am sure he was disappointed.  I will say that (at least in my experience), in travel/club baseball the coaches would pull position players to pitch toward the end of games and sometimes they would only pitch to a few hitters (although usually more than just 1!!).

From the tone of your first post you are upset, and that is a good thing because you care so much for your son and want the best for him!   If that means making him a good pitcher, I would consider - after a week or so after things have calmed down - talk with the coaches or head of the organization again and specifically ask them to work with your son's pitching technique and ask if he can start getting regular relief appearances.  If that does not happen, consider private lessons after the summer season and look for a different organization that will allow your son to pitch regularly.  Remember he is still young and this too shall pass - I bet your son is tough and this will not deter him.  If he loves baseball he knows that some failure is inherent, and this will just be a step in the journey!  Keep the faith and best of luck!!