Skip to main content

Reply to "Son of a Pitch"

My son at a younger age had a similar experience. He was on a travel team and rec team coached by the same coach. One was travel and the onther was tied to our church. 

Son really wanted to pitch, but he never really got an opportunity with this coach. Never blamed the coach, I understood he was trying to win and son had never pitched. Son still wanted to pitch. 

We signed him up at a local batting cage with a pitching coach for some lessons. And we dropped him down to a rec league for one summer so he could get some innings. He did well. Next year he started playing with the summer team tied to his HS/Middle schoold team. He got more innings pitching, but was never a number one type pitcher until his Sophomore/Junior year.

Flash forward to Summer before Senior year. Son is warming up. There is a familiar face watching from behind the backstop. He is taking notes and is clearly he has some interest. I walk over and we pass pleasantries. He asks me if I happen to know the pitcher. I explain that it is Charles. His eyes light up. He says "I guess I did not know what I had." We talk for a whike longer and have a very pleaseant conversation. We talk about how our sons respective recruitment is going etc. We eventually part ways and go to our respective seats.

Son ended up having a very respectful carreer at a D3 college. I still think highly of this coach, even though he did not let my son pitch, he may have taught him more about baseball than many of the coaches he had later in his life. 

Son is giving lessons and doing some coaching now. He still uses some of what this coach taught him. 

So after that long winded story, I am going to agree with others. If he wants to pitch, you as partents need to get him the resources to improve. There are many ways to do that. On the one batter he faced. How many pitches did it take to walk him? How close was your son to the strike zone? It is unfair, I know, but when called upan you must preform. You never know if/when you will get another chance. I feel your pain. Most of us on here have seen our sons have experiences we may deem unfair. 

Good luck.