Skip to main content

Reply to "SOOOOO frustrated...coach projecting?"

quote:
Originally posted by highwinds:

Okay, so my son is small for his age...he's 5'2", about 95 lbs. BUT...so was my husband at his age. My husband is now 6'1/2". An endocrinologist estimated that my son will be 5'10". My husband didn't grow until he was 16. I'm so afraid this coach is grooming the bigger kids for JV (which he also coaches), and totally ignoring talent. My son will probably be awesome in JV and Varsity, provided he doesn't get frustrated and quit, which is what happened to my husband.

How can we stop this nightmare?

I was thinking of having my husband talk to the coach. He can be very persuasive. Bad idea? Any advice?

A coach can only play the kids based on their current size, not by some prediction. I often question for those who are so hung up on size and come up with these predictions. I know a dad who swore up and down his kid was gonna grow to 6'8". He grew to about 6'. Good player though. You can't get hung up how big they will be.

To play varsity, which I assume is your goal, he must get bigger and stronger. Even with the skills, size, speed and strength or a combination of some of these is a must to play at the next level.

You can't control how big he grows so forget about predictions. He probsably will need to work on strength and conditioning and put on some weight. However as a freshman, there's time for growth.

As for how you can stop the nightmare? You don't. It's up to the player to deal with the hand dealt to him. It's his experience, not the parents. It'll either work out or it don't. It's not the end of the world if if don't.
Last edited by zombywoof