Skip to main content

Reply to "Sophomore Scores"

In 2005 Whitney Young High School earned recognition as one of the top schools in the country by US News and World Report, ranking the school among the top 10% of high schools nationally. This ranking includes both public and private high schools and is the crown jewel in the CPS high school system and is recognized by many as the one of the most prestigious of high schools to attend.

It is a fact (without embellishment) that Whitney Young has earned numerous accolades and consistently scores among the top high schools in the entire state of Illinois. This week Whitney Young is competing with its Academic Decathlon team for national honors in Hawaii. I spoke with Dr. Joyce Kenner, school principal yesterday, who is in Hawaii with the team and as I understand, the competition went very well and once again the school will be once again recognized for its outstanding performance on this national stage of academic accomplishment. For the record, this was the 21st straight year for Whitney Young to be the Champions of the Illinois State Decathlon. In 2005 the school finished 4th nationally; I have not heard how the school placed in the competition that is currently underway.

These are all just a few of the many barometers of the outstanding group of students who attend this nationally recognized high school.

Does Illinois Math & Science compete with an IHSA baseball team?

Make no small plans....Make big plans; Aim high in hope, and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once located will not die."
~ Daniel Burnham from The Plan of Chicago 1890
Last edited by mark ormond