Skip to main content

Reply to "Sophomore Son wants to do more show case evals"

Agree with NYCDAD, Pre-Med is not going to be an option. Depending on the program they will limit or mandate the amount of classes and hours taken. So will their schedule. UVA mandated 15 hrs/semester and you must graduate in 4 years. GT is only 12 hrs/semester. Pre-Med in either scenario will be difficult, especially with the schedule and travel constraints. When you get to it, you should ask the coach on a visit how many days of school they miss a season.....Some schools are affected by travel more than others. You'll want to know.

My son (PO) sent videos, tweets, and his baseball profile to the top PG rated National Travel programs in the fall in order to get on a team that was going to WWBA in Ft Meyers for his grade (2021) and WWBA in Jupiter (2020 to play up).

Showcasing is fine to get you the PG grade and be seen by area scouts, if you're spreading the wealth and traveling to different region showcases. But like others have said. The BIG events are what is going to draw the most coaches/scouts.

College camp evals usually suck and are equivalent to a paper napkin review. We ponied up for the $100 pitching evaluation at Duke and that was really good and informative.

We enjoyed our local travel team, but they didn't get outside of Texas much and my son wanted to go East. So we had to go East. We did a few camps that helped open his eyes. But getting on East Cobb in the fall and his performance at both events is what really exploded his recruitment and he committed within 3 weeks of Jupiter after flying all over the country. 

Getting exposure on a top team will grease the skids for you a lot more than individual showcases, in my opinion. Most of these top tier travel coaches have colleges programs on speed dial and can go to bat for your son to help him get seen/recruited.

Make sure when you travel to these various showcases you get on campuses. That is really important for him to get the look and feel of the campus and city to make sure he still wants to go there.

You also need to check with schools to see what majors they have and don't have. My son was big on Vandy for some time. Went to their 5 day camp (AMAZING!!) but upon further research we found out that they don't have business or finance, so that dropped them down on his list. Though we LOVE LOVE LOVE Nashville and the area.

Other programs quickly dropped to the bottom as soon as my son stepped foot on campus or saw they city they were in. Others immediately rose to the top. All based on getting on campus.

Virtual tours help to in order to whittle down the list, but they're only going to show you their best stuff.....

That really helped shuffle and then solidify schools on my son's top 10+ target list.

Your situation may be different but for our son, his mom and I assured him that he was going to a good school to play baseball. Not a crappy school with a good baseball team.

Check out some sites and do your research

https://www.collegefactual.com/tools/college-combat/  is a great one to compare schools head to head on a lot of different factors. You can toggle them if they don't apply to get a more accurate comparison.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges  search for the school and see how they compare....you'll be shocked...

Other things like business school or engineering school rankings, etc. 

A lot has happened since your original post, but you have to have a plan and work the plan. This is a grind and you need to stay on top and ahead of it when you can.

Summer showcases are going to be packed this summer given no HS season and dead period. Get on a good national/regional travel team if you can.  Assuming we have summer travel season....

Do whatever you have to do to get to WWBA (July) and definitely the 2 in the Fall for the most/best exposure....