Skip to main content

Reply to "Sorry but I have to rant a little bit"

Coach I really respect your opinion and agree 100% with this. That showcase coach is an idiot. I hope and pray that young lady doesn't get reinjured. That coach is actually looking to be sued but I hope it never happens becasue I hope no one is hurt bad enough to sue her.

The blend of HS sports and non HS (showcase for lack of better words) has went off the deep end IMO. This includes sports being expected to compete in the sports normal offseason. Even between HS sports. Even between same sport HS and showcase (as above) and showcase to showcase of 2 sports, one in season and one out. Everyone wants that kid for everything all the time. Kids want to play, Parents want that scholarship, or glory or whatever. 

I don't know where or how to stop it but kids don't just get to be kids. They have to be very organized, threr day filled with event to event.

I had 5 kids, boys 25,23,18 and girls 15 &12. when my 25 and 23 played when they were younger. They played pee wee football, very local travel basketball and baseball. The season was the season  no crossover or very little (maybe a week or 2 at a start and finish of season) and those were ALWAYS in season team first. By HS, they were both basketball and baseball only. Baseball local travel and HS. But again they never crossed over. From August to November they worked on both but it wasn't crazy. They threw some starting late January

my 18 year old never stops. HS Basketball is from mid august "Open gyms and conditioning" until end of season in late February early March. They have a summer league / practices the entire month of June. It is basically expected unless playing baseball at same time, not same day, just same time. HS Baseball has fall conditioning / practice 3 times a week. Take off November and then start back in December (he is expected to be there on Sunday nights for conditioning even in basketball season). This goes thru sometime in May. Summer baseball started right after HS season and for him ends in late October.

On a normal week he is doing basketball, HS baseball and summer baseball all 3 and for most part it is 7 days a week, always 6.

I know there will be people here that say he needs to prioritize and just play a sport (in his case that would be baseball, if he had to choose). But I ask why? He loves playing basketball. He plays with his HS friends. 

How do we get all these sports to allow the kids to be "inseason" when they are in season and not have other coaches expect them to participate in offseason without repercussions?

This is HS to HS sports, HS to showcase and showcase to showcase.

I guess the real answer is parents have to step up and put limits of the kids time by priority of the kid and then be willing to help all the coaches know where that priority is. I just wish that it didn't have to be each parent that had to do that but that coaches would have to understand for all thier kids.

thanks for letting me rant as well