Skip to main content

Reply to "Sorry but I have to rant a little bit"

Tonight at our JV football game I was able to get with our cheer coach and asked if her mom knows what's going on - she said yes and she talked to her about the potential problems that could occur.  I just don't get it.  What makes it worse is part of the Gfeller / Waller Act is I have to hold a mandatory meeting at the start of each season for every single athlete and parent / guardian.  We go over all of this stuff and what happens once a kid is just suspected of having a concussion.  Then I hand out a paper with information on it and another paper where the parent and kid both sign saying they attended the meeting to get the information.  

As for doing other things while in season I totally understand what Buckeye and PG are talking about and agree with them.  I just think there are two different things going on here.  I feel what they are talking about is a kid being a kid.  If they get hurt being a kid then so be it because that's part of life.  But the part I'm talking about is the structured / having someone put pressure on you to do something while something else is going on.  That just takes away from both things you're trying to do.  

I do believe there can be exceptions to this but it has to be a special reason.  One year I had a second baseman who loved basketball and wanted to attend a showcase during our season.  I allowed him to miss a game to attend this because he had a chance to be seen by a college.  I'm not going to take a chance like this away from a kid.  

I don't know - it just ticked me off when this girl was telling me this stuff today.